Tuesday, February 20, 2018

What is an alphahole?

For many years, I never read a romance book. When I did, I had a few years of never encountering what many call an alphahole. Then I met many of these so-called alpha heroes. To me, these alphaholes aren't truly alphas. They're toxic, as in toxic masculine.

Here's a definition of toxic masculinity from an article written by Alia E. Dastagir. "[T]oxic masculinity, the stereotypical sense of masculinity that embodies behaviors, such as denying help or emotions, which psychologists and sociologists say are harmful to men and to society. It's the things in our culture — from toys given to movies watched to messages parents consciously and unconsciously send — that tells boys and men 'being a real man' means repressing feelings and consistently demonstrating strength and dominance." 

So for purposes of this blog, I'd like to call heroes who are toxic with their masculinity simply toxic or toxic masculine. I feel calling these kinds of heroes alpha gives the word alpha a bad meaning. 

But what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I have a love-hate relationship with alpha males in fiction. The kind of toxic masculinity you mention is such a turn-off. Forget about the damage this attitude does to boys and the pain it can bring to men and women, just look at what you’re getting with a man like that: at best, a wall; at worst, a wall that comes tumbling down on you. In some fiction novels, these alpha types are coupled with spirited or “feisty” women that can’t wait to be tamed. Makes your skin crawl, doesn’t it?

    But pair up an alpha-type male with an alpha-type female, and allowing for flaws and weaknesses, now we’re talking sparks. And sparks I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I'm not sure if I've ever read an alpha hero who didn't have toxic masculinity syndrome. I have a CP who calls my heroes "true alpha heroes" because they kind of masculine but don't have to prove it, you know. But she's my CP and I think she's biased and incredibly sweet. :) So if you have any recommendations of non-toxic alpha heroes, I'm all ears. :)

      Delete