Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Treating Women Like Children


I'm not sure why spanking is in so many romance books. Of the books I've read, none feature a woman asking to be spanked. If that's what she's into, then fine by me. But the books I've read and never finished, usually feature a male character "teaching" or "punishing" a woman. So, then where are all the books where women "teach" or "punish" the men? Just curious.

I really wasn't going to start this article talking about spanking, but spanking is the biggest display of a man treating a woman like a child. Why on earth would an adult want to do this to another adult to "punish" them is beyond me. Like I already mentioned, if this is your kink, then so be it. But I'm talking about punishment, as if it's acceptable for a man (who is an adult) to punish another adult. Even judges call their work sentencing. Punishing is no longer acceptable language in most civilized society, but it is in many a romance book for a man to do to a woman.

But that's not even what gets me the angriest. It's the little things. Devil's in the details, they say, and I'd agree. It's the seemingly sweet book where the hero orders the heroine to do something, usually "for her own safety." Because she's an idiot or a child who doesn't know how to keep herself safe? Why would a man order a woman around in the first place? Does he think her mentally unstable? And if so, is ordering her about really the best way to approach a mentally unstable person?

Ordering a heroine about is insidious and ubiquitous and, honestly, sad. It makes me so sad when I read a well-written book and find the hero treating the heroine like she's a child, complete with ordering her about, shaking a finger at her, acting sternly. I love well-written books! But I can't read that. It makes me too sad, where I'd think of the hero and heroine getting a divorce later down the years when she finally realizes she doesn't have to be treated like a child. Yes, sad.

What are some of your pet peeves regarding heroes treating heroines like a child? 


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Convincing the heroine that what she really wants is what he wants. Ripping clothes aka the infamous bodice rips. For once, JUST ONCE, I'd like to see a historical romance heroine rip the shirt off the guy. (had to delete initial comment because I forgot the "r" in shirt. OOOPS)

      Delete
  2. Hee-hee! Maybe the forgotten "r" was a Freudian slip? Because that kind of spelling of shirt, without the "r," can sometimes mean a person emotional baggage. :) And, me too. I like it when the heroine rips shirts off a consenting adult. It's hot.

    ReplyDelete